Monday, May 9, 2016

Pet Milk Pyro milk bottle

The beauty of the blog? It lends itself for much more research on individual artifacts and expounding on their historical background....right, just more space to pedal my propaganda!
Anywhoo...found this PET brand Pyro milk bottle at an estate sale in Livonia MI a week or so ago...a bottle collector/hoarder who packed their home full of relics...more on that at a latter date.
PET milk. They of the condensed milk & small metal can. Some of my earliest memories are of my Grandparents using PET as creamer in their coffee....an old custom, so I've been told on numerous occasions, that the working class only gave up with the proliferation of the modern Super-market. PET is a very syrupy concoction...many used it in their coffee with no need for sugar at all.

Long history with PET...its 12 month shelf life made it extremely popular in a bygone age when shipping products abroad was a slow process.
www.petmilk.com/history/

And upon confabbing further with my matriarchal unit I learned that my dear Babcia used PET as a baby formula for my dearly departed godmother....as per my Mum's recollection....PET, diluted with water, and a touch of  karo syrup! Good sleeping!

Which brings me back to the bottle I purchased on the cheap...its a PET milk bottle...with a non matching milk cap...but what the hey? Bottle is in excellent shape...PYRO lettering is great too.


Nice purchase...that 1 sale proved to be a cornucopia of treasures...all in a days work!

No comments:

Post a Comment