Tuesday, December 13, 2016

1920's Whitman Salmagundi Chocolates Alphonse Mucha Art Nouveau tin

2 ancient(???) Whitman Chocolate tins.....
The 1st, the 1lb tin of the right, I picked up last winter while traveling the West coast of MI with Nosferatu...I liked it due to its style and age....the Art Nouveau style was a favorite of my greatly missed Godmother....she who passed too young & too soon. She had an Art degree from the University of MICHIGAN & passed her love of art on to me...being that I was the only other person in our family with any artistic skill! HA!!!
Anywho....these tins utilized the art of the GRATE Alphonse Mucha (1869-939). Look him & his works up if you're so inclined.
Whitman licensed the art from him & had the Tin-Deco Co of Baltimore make the candy tins in the 1920's.
I picked up the larger 2lb tin recently.....I like sets! I don't have the obsessive malaise...yet!
Reproductions of these tins were made in the late 1980's/early1990....
Now the question: Are these two 90+ year old tins or recent creations?
I've come across the repros....rounded edges and shallower boxes.....but I'm not so optimistic to think these two have survived all these decades in such incredible shape...
Some fading....the occasional dent & scratch....but I've come across others that looked like they'd been dragged down country roads behind a V-8 Ford!
I'll use 'em to store personal effects & heirlooms.....
The image of the woman was produced for the magazine La Plume in 1897...known as "Zodiac" it was a calendar. The image on both tins are stunning...
And regardless of their being authentic or reproductions... I think they are brilliant examples of how everyday items once where made with a dedication to craftsmanship that is long forgotten.
Keep an eye open...I've seen one recently in a nearby antique shop...for a reasonable price at that!

No comments:

Post a Comment