Thursday, June 29, 2017

Hudson's & Poetry in the D: Summertime finds

Summertime in Detroit: The Sun is shinning & the humidity is climbing!
In town, between working on the road, and checking out an occasional estate sale. Thought I'd give one near my original residence a chance.
I'm interested in anything that was "....made in Detroit." From a cultural perspective as well as a personal one.
Viola! Old Detroit neighborhood....old house....what more could ya ask for?
Clothing & furniture(some very nice stuff, by the way) on the ground floor. Upstairs off limits.....no garage....so into the basement I went....with my trusty flashlight I braved the musty cellar.....
And what was waiting for me you ask? Tucked away in a secluded closet was this gem: a J. L. Hudson's bottle of "double distilled" Witch Hazel!
Label is a bit wrinkled....but in grand shape despite its buried environment...

Even the original price tag....price long ago faded into oblivion! 
Another piece of DETROIT history: "Love Poem to a Black Junkie" by Paulette C. White!
Mrs. White's 1st published book of poetry....1975 1st edition.....and signed to boot!




Pulled out of an old suitcase!
And lastly...an ancient Merck & Co benzocaine medicine bottle!
Merck & Co has been around since 1891,,,and is still one of the drug companies in the world!
Benzocaine is used in cough drops & is a pain killer! Dig the "old-school" cork stopper!
I was (and still will) going to blog about some of the other relics I've come across in the past few weeks....but todays finds demanded that I give them "their due" ASAP.

No comments:

Post a Comment